Friday, March 1, 2013

Quick Multi-level Math Game

Yesterday, I was called on by my principal to host a group of 4th graders for an extra math session.  I was glad to do it, but my mind was blank about something meaningful that I could get together in an hour or so of planning time.  All of a sudden I remembered a post from a blog that I follow about a number order game that could be played with 2nd-5th graders that didn't require anything but a piece of paper and playing cards or 0-9 dice.  I think the teacher that showcased it on her blog called it the Ordering Numbers Game.  I drew my board on a piece of chart paper like that shown below:
Of course, for my fourth graders it was from 0 - 1000.  They drew their own configuration of 10 squares and then took turns drawing 3 cards and making a 3 -digit number and writing it somewhere on their board in order between the 0 and the 1000.  The winner in the group was the first one to be able to complete filling in the squares with the random numbers in order.  It was great to see them try to rearrange the digits several times to try to come up with a number they could use.  I think it was a great learning activity and great fun, too!  I love these ideas that are simple but powerful activities to get the kids thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment